Monday, July 28, 2008

Starting our school shopping


Now that we know that the kids will be going to GCA on a scholarship this year, it's time to do our school shopping. I went by the school today to pay our registration fee ($75) and pick up the school supply list. Then I decided since I was already out and about and had the van I might as well get started.


I decided to shop at Target this time because I had a coupon for $5/$50 and two $5 gift certificates.


First, let me tell you that I prayed before going in the store. Last year when I went school supply shopping, I spent well over $100. I know we don't have that much to spend, so I really prayed and asked God to help me.


He did.


I didn't buy everything. I still need Kleenex and ziploc bags, coloring books and markers, but I think I can get that stuff cheaper at the dollar store. I do have all the basics, though.
  • 2 packs of Play-dough
  • 10 double packs of glue sticks
  • 4 24ct crayons
  • 2 pk colored pencils
  • 6 pks 24ct pencils
  • 2 packs construction paper
  • 2 packs drawing paper
  • 1 roll of clear contact paper
  • 2 folders
  • 1 paper
  • 1 pocket dictionary
  • 1 pk erasers


I was even able to buy the kids new lunchboxes, which they really wanted, but they could gone without if necessary. Tyler is thrilled that his lunchbox looks like his backpack.


Here's the funny story: I did not calculate my totals as I shopped. With three kids, one of whom I'm holding, it's just too hard. So, I wasn't quite sure what my total would be. When the cashier said "$39.xx" I was shocked that it was so low! God really did help me find good deals. Well, I decided that I really did want to use my $5/$50 coupon, so I said politely "Are you able to suspend the sale while I go get more stuff?" I felt silly, but she was cool with it. I went back and got the kids their lunchboxes, which of course made me "Cool Mom of the Day".


Total spent: $42.xx


I still have about $15 worth of stuff to buy, and still working on uniforms, but that's it.


God is so good.

No comments: