Tuesday, July 8, 2008

CVS trip--More lessons learned

Well, my CVS trip was not as great as I had hoped, but I learned another lesson today: read the fineprint on the coupon!!!

I didn't realize that the $2 off CVS brand skincare coupon was a one-time-use deal. So, I printed out 10 of them. I threw a bunch of "free" stuff in my cart, only to discover that I could only use the coupon one time. Of course, I was too embarrassed to return the "now-not-free" items, so I had to eat about $10.

I'm also trying to find the balance between "we need this" and "we don't". and what's a good deal and what is not. I had to buy a bunch of other stuff that we really did need and I feel like I got a good deal on, but it wasn't free and didn't generate a lot of ECBs. So, I'm nowhere close to racking up enough ECBs to roll them. I'm still paying a bit out of pocket. But, I think I may have tried to jump in too fast, so I'm going to slow down a bit and keep reading Money Saving Mom and FishMama's newbie post.

But, here's what I got:

Transaction 1




I did the Olay deal and stocked up on bodywash. I had $5.50 worth of coupons, and used $3.50 ECB

Total OOP= $14.46, earned $10 ECB

Transaction 2
















Now, I might have been able to break this down even more and come out farther ahead, but I didn't for a few reasons. 1. I was a little rushed preparing for my trip because we had to leave to take my mom to the airport and I was going to do the CVS trip on the way home; 2. I had the kids and wanted to be done!; and 3. Lazy. More lessons learned. Here's how it went:

2 CVS pantiliners @ .99 each to earn $1.98 ECB = FREE
2 Always pads @ 2.99 each; used BOGO coupon =2.99
2 Gillette Sensor Plus 3 razors @ 4.99 each; used BOGO coupon = 4.99
1 Gillette Venus Disposable 3 ct razors @ 4.99; used $2.00 off coupon = 2.99
1 Gillette Mach3 razor 3 ct @ 4.99; used $2.00 off coupon = 2.99
1 Softsoap Body Wash @ 5.49 to earn $2.00 ECB; used .75 coupon = 4.74 - $2 ECB
3 CVS shave gels @ 1.99; this is where I goofed on the $2 coupon, could only use 1 = 3.98
2 CVS petroleum jelly @ 1.49; another part of the oops = 2.98
1 Johnson's Baby lotion @ .99; used $1 coupon that was adjusted to .99 = FREE
Whoppers and Candy Corn for good behaving children, not pictured

Used $10 ECB
Paid $24.16 OOP (Ouch!)
Earned $3.98 ECB

So, not a wonderful trip, but I do think I got some great deals on the body wash and razors that we did need.

What do you think? I'd love to read your wisdom. :)

3 comments:

Anne Marie said...

First of all, great job of just "getting out there" and trying the CVS thing. I've been trying my hand at it for a little while (3 months) and am still learning lessons. You did get a lot of good product for not too much money. I would encourage you, though, to not feel bad about returning the things you don't want/need. I've had to return products two different times, and it's not a big deal at all. Depending on how you paid for the items, they may need to give you CVS credit (on a gift card) instead of cash back, but you don't have to feel like you must keep the things you bought - especially if you didn't get a good deal on them!

About the $2 off CVS skincare coupons: you can only use them once per transaction, but you can use it over and over again during different transactions or trips to the store. At least this has been my experience, and what other people have said.

Hope this helps!

cooking like a frugalite said...

Thank you so much for commenting and for your thoughts!

Anonymous said...

I printed a bunch of the $2 off CVS brand skin care coupons and use 1 each time I go to CVS as a free filler item.