Thursday, July 31, 2008

Just do one thing today.

Michelle at Leaving Excess has a post today about how she is combating rising prices, including an increase in her heating bill.

This article, coupled with a recent one on Extreme Frugality, has made me think a lot lately. And that's really all that I've done is think. I have a bunch of great ideas, but I have a hard time actually putting them into practice.

So today I came back to that simple rule: Just do one thing. Just one thing. Then, when I'm comfortable with that change, I can do another one thing.

Here's what I'm going to do today: Cut my dryer sheets in half. It's so simple; it might take me 5 minutes to do, but I'll cut that expenses, along with the sheets, by 50%.

What one thing can you do today?

See more frugal ideas at Biblical Womanhood's Frugal Friday

5 comments:

Audra Krell said...

This makes everything so manageable. When I go through hard times, I break it down to just getting through the hour, or sometimes even the minute. Today I rode somewhere with my husband, to save gas, instead of driving myself at a later time. It was one thing, but it felt really good.

Brooke said...

I packed my lunch today. Okay so my dad packet it for me. Point being I'm not going to fork over $5 for lunch.

and you're right, if we don't break it down in to small, doable chunks, it tends to get overwhelming.

The Pennywise Parent said...

I am a mom to three also, and often feel fortunate to manage one accomplishment each day! :)

I appreciate this simple tip...a good reminder as I am often trying to change everything at once.

Sigh.

Abbi said...

Good post! Frugality or anything can be overwhelming when you try to accomplish everything at once. The thing is we don't have to do that, we can do one thing at a time.

Anonymous said...

Honestly, that tip is pure genius. You are so right, just doing one thing is no big deal. It makes it that much easier to move on to the next thing. Thanks so much for the encouraging reminder.