Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Grocery Shopping Week of 7/27--Wowzers!

Last night at church, our pastor preached "Fret Not" and spoke about trusting God in these trying times. It's actually been a common theme lately, and I'm sure it's not just at our church.

He read a portion of Psalms 37, which I memorized years ago for Bible-quizzing, but this time a portion of Scripture jumped out at me as never before:

Ps 37:3 "Trust in the Lord, and do good; so shall thou dwell in the land, and verily thou shalt be fed."

See that part about being fed? I've never noticed that before. I guess it's because I've never been as focused on my grocery bill as I am now.

But, you know what? That just spoke to my heart. Don't be afraid of the grocery prices going up; don't be afraid because prophecy says that a pound of gold will buy a bag of bread. It's in the Lord's hand. If I trust in him AND do good (don't forget the "do good" part), He will take care of me and my family and we will be fed. It may be beans and rice three times a day, but at least we'll have food.

With this in mind, I went shopping today. I mentioned last week about praying before I went. Well, I did that again today before each store. And I really believe that God was with me and helped me.

I hit Safeway and Fry's today and I did great!!!!

Safeway:

Not the greatest picture, sorry...

Safeway is not part of my normal routine because the closest one is eight miles away and the deals are not usually that great. I do look at the ads and every great once in awhile I'll go. The last time was about four months ago and I actually had my husband go to the one close to the kids school. That meat deal was so good that we just barely finished all of the meat.

Anyway, this week Safeway had enough advertised deals, plus some in-ad coupons (IAC) that I decided it would be worth the trip to go. I was mostly going for some meat and some produce.

Well, when I got there, I found some great unadvertised sales in the produce department and in the meat department. I was saying "Hallelujah, Thank you Jesus" the whole time while I loaded up my cart with fresh produce and meat that we had been missing for awhile.

The unadvertised sales are in red

2 Quaker Granola Bars. 1 @ .99 with IAC, 1 @ 2.50, 1.00/2 coupon = 1.25 x 2

Nabisco Cookies 1 @ 1.99 with IAC

90 ct corn tortillas @ 2.00

Quilted Northern 12 dbl @ 5.49

Bread 1 @ .79 with IAC

4 lbs 93% lean ground beef @ 1.99/lb (I cut it into six pieces to stretch it a bit)

8 Pork Chops @ .99/lb (divided into two meals)

6 lbs Pork Roast @ .99/lb (cut into 3 lbs each, which will make at least two meals each)

Bananas @ .69/lb

Apples @ 1.00/lb (haven't seen that in awhile)

lettuce @ .79

green onions @ .33

peaches @ .77/lb

4 lb package of grapes @ 2.99 IAC

2 lbs baby carrots 2 @ .99 IAC

Total: 46.54

Total saved: 66.72/59%

I had my coupon box with me in case I found a deal that needed a coupon. I did not, but what I did find were lots of blinkie and peelies. A ton!!!! I took one of everything I found. Also, I happened to look down and see this little booklet tucked into a display. Pulled it out and it was full of coupons. Put it all into my coupon box and actually used them later at Fry's!

Frys:


I got to go to Fry's sans kids, so I walked slowly and looked for extra specials. And I found some!

The first deal I noticed was an Oscar Mayer Deli Creations box with a Manager's Special sticker on it. These normally go for over $3, but the sticker said $1.75. A few weeks back there had been a blinkie and I had taken one. I pulled it out, it doubled to $1 and I got the item for .75! A nice treat for my hubby.

Next I prowled around in the lunchmeat section. I had pulled off a coupon at Safeway for $1 off of a Foster Farms tub. These were on sale for $3.50, not a great deal, but with the coupon they were $2.50. Still not great, but okay for lunchmeat. And they had the same coupons on them, so I got another set.

With this coupon was a coupon for Foster Farms Grilled Chicken strips. I looked to see how much they were and noticed...Manager Special stickers for $1.98. With coupon = .98. And they all had the same set of coupons on them. I got 3, which is the Fry's limit for same coupon. And coupons to use later.

Found King's Hawaiian bread on the clearance shelf for 1.49 - coupon doubled to 1.00 = .49

Coney buns on clearance for .99

Got a blinkie for Danon Activa which was 2.77 - 1.00 = 1.77 for for cups.

Finally, I had a coupon for Heartland pasta that was going to expired. It was 1.49 - coupon doubled to 1.00 = .49, which is a great price for pasta right now. I got penne, which I can get 2 meals out of.

Also on the list where 30 more Mega items with coupons, Helper meals with coupons, and Yoplait with coupons. And, Diet Pepsi 24 pks, buy 3, get them for $4 each. (and I think I might quit after that......)

Total: 72.23

Total Saved: 117.85/62%, including 42.35 in coupons (including $15 Mega sale return).

My kitchen is stocked to the brim.

So my grand total was: 118.77

Grand total saved: 184.57/61%

God is good.

No comments: