Monday, July 21, 2008

Joining up with "Menu-Plan Monday"


I love to menu-plan. I am one of those cooks who HAS to have a recipe; I do not know how to throw-it-all-together. I break out in a cold sweat if I don't have an ingredient. The thought of walking into the kitchen at 4 pm with no plan and nothing defrosted gives me a panic attack.

I have to menu-plan so that I know what to buy from the store. Otherwise I just buy a mismatch of stuff and then I have no idea what to do with it. And, that can be extremely expensive. Our goal here is reducing cost, which includes reducing waste, so not planning would be very ineffective for me.

I've been menu-planning for over eleven years. I clearly remember my mother (she's the queen of lists, btw) sitting down every week and makingout her menu and her grocery list on colorful pads of paper. One of the first things that I did as a wife was to sit down and make out my menu. I don't remember all of it, but the first night was sloppy joes, french fries and green beans. I was so proud and I felt like a real wife.

I have learned a lot of flexibility through the years, tinkering with my menu when I need to use something up. Or, I may only plan a few days in advance instead of a set week. But, I must have a plan, or it my kitchen, my time, and our budget becomes a huge mess.

I also love to try new recipes (as long as I have the ingredients) and frequently use http://www.tasteofhome.com/ and http://www.allrecipes.com/. I have lots of other favorites, too.

That is why I am so excited to join in orgjunkie.com's "Menu-Plan Monday". Over 200 women who love to menu-plan just like me post their weekly menus, with lots of great recipes. Oh, I can hardly wait to get started!

Click here to see this week's menu.

No comments: