Friday, January 30, 2009

Super Savings Saturday, January 31 edition

There are lots of great sales in my area this week, so I planned a big shopping day. Also, I took my coupon box with me this time. I don't always do that because I get very distracted with the baby (see Bashas!) and because it takes up room in my cart, but I'm glad I did this time. I picked up some things that were on sale (like the Vaseline) that I didn't see in the ad, so wouldn't have had my coupons for otherwise.

Here's the breakdown:

Savers: Passed by my favorite thrift store as I was making my rounds today, so I stopped in to see what I could get a good deal on. Following up on my post here about my son's clothing, I looked for items in the next few sizes so that I can start stocking what he'll need. That way I won't be caught by surprise when he grows. Well, I hit the jackpot. I found two pairs of church pants, both quality labels, in the next size up. I also found a sharp Van Huesen suit jacket, still has the label on the sleeves, two sizes up. All three of these I purchased for half off. I paid three dollars for that jacket!!! The white dress shirt is the next size up also.

Total OOP: $13.53

Walgreens:

I had a list of must-haves and not all of them where on sale. But, that's where using your coupons, etc comes in handy. You use those discounts to free up money to buy the things that you need that aren't on sale.

The best deals here where

  1. the popcorn, which was on sale for 99 cents, and I had a coupon for .40 off. My son loves popcorn, so this was a nice treat for him.
  2. The Vaseline lotion. Lotion was on my list of must haves, so I looked for the best deal. I found Vaseline on sale for 5.99, and it had a free small bottle attached. BUT, what was even better was that when you bought the lotion, you then got a Vaseline Clinical Therapy Lotion for free. That's a savings of 6.99. I had a 1.25 coupon that I added, so I got all of it for 4.74!!!

I also had a $10 RR from last week that I used.

Total OOP: 19.96

Total Savings: 32.89

Bashas:

I'm a little frustrated with myself about this trip, because I let the baby distract me and I didn't do as well as I should have. I made a mistake that cost me two free items, THEN, when I got home I realized that I failed to buy two items. I remember pulling out the coupon for the item, but I must have forgotten to put the items into my basket. So, it could have been much better.

Some of the highlights are:

  1. 20 lbs of chicken leg quarters for .39/lb. These are not my favorite to deal with, but I couldn't pass up the price.
  2. Country Style Ribs for .88/lb
  3. Cottage Cheese marked down to .99. I'll make my husband some lasagna.
  4. The cereal was 4/$6 with a store coupon, plus I had two coupon for $1.50 off of two that they doubled to $2 each. So, I paid 50 cents each for the cereal.
  5. Also, they had a deal where you purchased 5 items and got a free package of buns. Well, the buns were $1.49. When the cashier entered the $1.49 amount, it automatically doubled to $2, so I got 51 cents overage!

Total OOP: 33.34

Total savings: 65.16

CVS:

We have a new CVS store so I got some great coupons in the mail, including a $10/20 coupon. This was so timely because I actually lost some ECBs and I didn't know how I was going to replace them without breaking the bank. This week's deal at CVS is "Buy $20 worth of Pepsi products, get $10 ECB". So, I knew that I could go in and use the coupon and my $2 ECB that I still had, use a $1.50 coupon for the chips, pay $6.50 OOP, and earn $10. So, that's what I did.

I also bought Wisk, 2/$9, used a coupon for $1.50, and got $2 ECB.

The gum was BOGO and I used a .55 coupon. These will be saved for a gift for my son who loves gum.

Finally, the Coke was a free product coupon.

Total OOP: 15.14

Total savings: 36.64

Earned $12 ECB

**Oh, and if you're wondering about all the chips and soda that I've been buying: we are having a BBQ birthday party for my son in two weeks, so I've been taking advantage of the sales and stocking up on chips and soda for the party. Plus my family loves chips. I'm letting them have half and hiding the rest.

Hand-me-downs:

Jason got a big bag of hand-me-downs that should fit him in about six months. Lots of pants and shoes, some shirts, AND a nice suit for church.

Also, I did a bunch of online deals earlier this week and you can read about that here.

I'm still planning on going to Safeway and Frys before Tuesday.

For lots more show-and-tell, see Money-Saving Mom!!

Have a great weekend!

No comments: