Sunday, January 4, 2009

Menu Plan Monday!

I've got some good recipes to share, and then the rest of my menu is boring because we are fasting this week. Well, hubby is fasting. The kids and I are eating boring stuff.

  • Steak Fajitas-I used taco seasoning to flavor the meat. Just combined the seasoning with the water and mixed it up. Poured it over the meat and popped it in the fridge for a few hours. It worked! Served with Yellow Rice Mix from a package.
  • BBQ Beef Sandwiches-recipe below. Didn't have any rolls so I made the French Roll Recipe that came with my breadmachine. It was okay, but I think I'll look for another recipe next time. Served with Oven Fries (recipe below)
  • My Favorite Potato Soup. This is awesome! Served with Easy Breadsticks. They were good, but a little time consuming. Made them while the potatoes boiled.
  • Enchilada Casserole in the Crockpot. Put this together myself. Made taco meat mixed with leftover pinto beans. Made Homemade Enchilada Sauce (see recipe below). Layered it in the crockpot with corn tortillas and cheese. The tortillas completed fell about so we just scooped it out with a spoon, but it was very good.
  • The rest of this week we are eating tostadas, baked potatoes with chili, and macaroni and cheese and fish sticks.

Oh, and I made Lancaster County Oatmeal Pancakes for breakfast on Sunday. They were okay, but not perfect. I think they needed a little more cinnamon.

Recipes that I promised:

BBQ Beef Sandwiches
INGREDIENTS
1 8-oz can of tomato sauce
1 tbsp vinegar
1 tbsp dry mustard (can use bottled mustard)
1 tsp chili powder
¼ tsp garlic powder
¼ cup Worcestershire sauce
1 cup bbq sauce
¼ tsp red pepper
1 3-4 pounds beef roast
Hoagie buns


STEPS
Combine all the ingredients except the roast and the buns. Place the roast in a crockpot. Pour the mixture over it. Cover the crockpot and cook in High for 5-6 hours, or Low for 10-12.
Shred the meat with two forks or a knife and mix into the juice. Ladle over the hoagie buns. Serve with extra bbq sauce, if desired.

Oven Fries
INGREDIENTS
1 medium potato per person
½ to 1 tbsp oil per potato


STEPS
1. Peel your potatoes, or not, as you see fit. Cut them into French fry shapes, or thin slices.
2. Place oil and potatoes in a resalable plastic bag. Shake them up, coating the potatoes liberally.
3. Arrange potatoes in a single layer on a cookie sheet. Bake at 450 for 10 to 15 minutes, or more depending on how thick they are.
4. Remove from oven. Salt liberally (season salt is yum!).

Enchilada Sauce
INGREDIENTS

1 6 oz can tomato paste
2 cups warm water
1 tsp EACH salt and onion powder
1 ½ tsp chili powder
½ tsp cumin
¼ tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp EACH oregano and black pepper

STEPS

1. Combine the tomato paste and water. Whisk together until the paste is dissolved. 2. Add the seasonings and stir to combine.

See tons more menus at Orgjunkie.com!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Everyone in my family LOVES oven fries! It's become a staple in our household.

Sherry

Anonymous said...

I've got a bunch of potatoes in my kitchen. Thanks for the recipes.

ElaineH