Saturday, January 17, 2009

Super Savings Saturday

Wow, what a week! Some great deals, and a not so great deal (with a major praise attached!). Here's how my week went:

Target: I just love the feel that comes from walking away from a store with a cart loaded with things that you need, knowing that you only spent a few dollars (if any at all) because you wisely used your coupons.

That's how I felt when I walked out of Target this week. I'm on the Target mailing list, so I receive lots of ads and such from them. Well, this week they sent me a baby stuff ad. On the back was a peelie that said "Free $20 gift card when you create a Target Baby registry." I pulled it off and turned it over to read the details. The only thing you had to do was print off a copy of you registry and bring that in with the coupon.

So, I thought about it and thought about it. I'm not pregnant at the moment. But, I do plan to have another baby in the near future. Wondering what the requirements were to start a registry, I went to Target.com. The first question that it asked was the "Expected Date of Arrival". I could choose the month, day and year-up to 2011! Okay, so people who are having babies in 2011 aren't pregnant yet, so there is my answer. I entered the true approximate date that we plan to add another baby to our family. For gender, I selected "unknown". Next, I legitimately went through and selected a few things that we really do want for this next child. Voila! I created a registry and I didn't lie! I printed off the registry, took it to Target and got my $20 gift card. So cool!!!

I needed two things from Target: a baby shower gift and totes for some outgrown toys.

First, the totes. Found 18 gallon totes 2/$9. That left me with approximately $11 to spend.

I headed to the baby section and cruised to the clearance racks. The 75% off rack caught my eye because it was actually full. Of good stuff. Nice shirts and windbreakers. I started grabbing and grabbing. Then, I made myself put back all except $10 worth. So, I got three nice shirts and a windbreaker for the baby shower.

I rounded out the gift with 2 packs of diapers using the gift certificates from my mom. I also got a pack for my baby.

Grand total: $52.58

Minus $29.97 in Pampers gift certificates and $20 Target gift card

Total OOP: $2.61!

Walgreens: (oops! No picture!)

Went to Walgreens to get the Pepsi deal (Buy $15, get $5RR). I also had a $5/$20 coupon, so rounded out my order with a few things we needed. Total OOP: $19.xx. Received back a $5RR.

Fry's: Guess What? I gave myself permission not to use coupons today. Yes; yes I did. Why? Well, honestly I was feeling a little burnt out. And, though they are having a good $1 sale this week, nothing is free with coupons. So, I just didn't feel like bothering. I didn't need a whole lot, so I just went in and got what I needed. I call this trip "The Random Ingredients Trip."
I did get some Turkey Sausage and lunchmeat on mark-down. Also picked up some Hamburger Helper, tortillas and frozen meals on sale for $1 each. These are so helpful for quick meals.
But, I do have a good deal to share. Did you know that Fry's accepts Competitor Pharmacy Coupons? I didn't either. But, I had transfered a prescription over to Fry's, so I used a Safeway $30 coupon when I picked it up today. So, I saved $30 on my grocery bill. This is also cool because Fry's only charges me $4 for my prescription when CVS charged me $10. So, I made $26 instead of just $15, which is what I got at CVS.
So, my Total OOP was $23.87.
The not so great deal, but major praise: I got a flat tire. I was on the freeway. I have five kids in the van. We were not hurt at all. I made it to the tire store where my husband had had the foresight to purchase a warranty on our tires. The tire had to be replaced, but it was only $19.51. Thank you, God, for protecting us!
So, that's my week. Check out lots more deals at Money-Saving Mom!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, I popped over from MSM to check out your deals. After reading your post about opening the Target baby gift registry, I wanted to tell you that I admire your integrity for stopping to think through whether or not it was honest to do so. I agree with you that it was honest to do since the choices were there for a delivery date into 2011 -- they must expect that people are planning for future children.

I'm trying to keep things as honest as possible in my quest to live frugally, so when I see others succeeding in that endeavor, I try to tell them so. Keep it up; you're setting a good example.

cooking like a frugalite said...

Thanks, Carol.