Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Kitchen Tip Tuesday: Cleaning out the Pantry and Using it Up

I recently spent some time cleaning out my pantry.

From this:
To this:
While cleaning it out, I took notes of things that had lost it's original intent and needed to be re-purposed. Doing this on a regular basis is a great way to insure that nothing is wasted.
Here is what my list said:
1. About 10 broken Fudge Stripe cookies: Make into crumbs and mix with vanilla ice cream for homemade "cookies and cream" ice cream.
2. Handful of butter cracker crumbs: Make into crumbs and put into meatloaf.
3. Ramen noodles without seasoning packet:
  • Add to another packet of ramen that does have seasoning packet. The seasoning is always strong anyway.
  • Use the noodles to make spaghetti.
  • Use the noodles in chicken noodle soup.

4. Half a bag of herb stuffing leftover from Christmas:

  • Make stuffing when I make the turkey that I bought at Safeway
  • I discovered a fried chicken recipe on the back of the Crisco container that uses herb stuffing for the crumb mixture. Sounds yummy!!

What do you have in your pantry that needs to be re-purposed? Remember, "waste not, want not!"

For more kitchen tips, check out Kitchen Tip Tuesday at Tammy's Recipes.

5 comments:

Cara said...

I really like to add the Ramen noodle packet (w/out seasoning) to cole slaw. Something a little different.

Cara/simplycara.com

Lynn said...

I love your ideas, and I'm kind of afraid to look in my pantry to see what needs to be repurposed! I did make a batch of cookies this Christmas that fell flat (literally) so I crumbled them all up and put them in the freezer, to use to sprinkle on plain yogurt or maybe in milk shakes. And yesterday I used the sugar water leftover from a jar of pears I'd canned and added a little lemon juice to it; it made the most delicious lemonade. Great post!

cooking like a frugalite said...

Cara and Lynn: Great ideas! Thanks for sharing!

Jennifer said...

What great ideas, and definitely the one about going through the pantry, I need to do that right now too.

Jerri at Simply Sweet Home said...

Love your ideas. I need to come up with similar ideas for our leftover stuff.