Friday, January 30, 2009

Recipe Swap: Hamburger Noodle Bake

Got another good one this week. I love this recipe for a couple of reasons. 1. It's freezable. 2. The chili sauce adds a wonderful, unexpected flavor. Try it!!


INGREDIENTS
5 cups uncooked egg noodles
2 pounds ground beef
1 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped green pepper
2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
1-1/2 cups water
1/2 cup chili sauce
1-1/2 cups soft bread crumbs (optional)
3 tablespoons butter, melted (optional)

STEPS
1. Cook noodles according to package directions until almost tender; drain.
2. In a large skillet, cook the beef, onion and green pepper over medium-high heat for 10-12 minutes or until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the noodles, soup, cheese, water and chili sauce. Transfer to two greased 8-in. square baking dishes, or one 9x13 if not freezing.3. Toss the bread crumbs and butter; sprinkle over casseroles. Bake one casserole, uncovered, at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until bubbly and golden brown.
4. Cover and freeze the remaining casserole for up to 3 months.

To use frozen casserole: Remove from the freezer 30 minutes before baking (do not thaw). Cover and bake at 350° for 60 minutes. Uncover; bake 10-15 minutes longer or until heated through.

Check out The Grocery Cart Challenge for lots more recipe ideas.

3 comments:

Carrie Thompson said...

I dont want to sound stupid but what is chili sauce? Do you mean canned chili? I am at a loss!

It looks good and we love chili so I am think it would be great with fritoes on top instead of bread crumbs?

cooking like a frugalite said...

Hi, Carrie. Chili Sauce is made by Heinz (probably some others, too), and is like ketchup with some other stuff added. Here's a link that has a picture of it, and a recipe http://heinzchilisauce.com/

Janelle said...

Hey!! My mom left me a jar of chili sauce at Christmas after she bought more than she needed for her meatballs. I have been wondering what the heck to do with it, and this sounds great! Thanks so much for the recipe. I especially love new uses for Tomato Soup.