Sunday, July 24, 2011

Wow, that was fast!!

This past week I've been spending my time getting things ready for school to start on August 8. My oldest son does virtual school here at home, so I guess you can say we "semi-homeschool". Last year was our first year. He actually started in October, so we played catch-up the whole year. That, coupled with trying to come to terms with his diagnosis, trying out some treatment plans which meant lots of doctor's appointments and generally getting over being shell-shocked meant that the school year wasn't that great.

I'm really determined that this year will be different. He's down to only one appointment a week, so we won't have to be running around as much. I've been making busy bags for my 1 and 3 year olds to keep them busy (hopefully!) while Tyler does school. I'm working on creating a new schedule for our cleaning and such.

I've gone through his coursework and mapped out the first month of lessons. I'm incorporating more hands-on activities rather than relying on the (boring) reading this and take a quiz.

I'm also decluttering the house, especially the playroom which doubles as the schoolroom. My 1 year old likes to dump things out, so all of the multi-pieces stuff I put up high were he can't reach.

As I was cleaning out the hall closet, where I want to put my supplies, I said to myself "I wish I had a filing cabinet to put my things into. I could put it here in the closet and it would hold me things so nice and neatly. And Justin wouldn't be able to get to it!"

About that time, Katelyn and her friend come running into the house. "Mom, there's a filing cabinet out on the sidewalk with a 'free' sign attached to it!"

I dropped everything and rushed outside. Yup. There really was a filing cabinet outside with a "free" sign on it. It was a large four drawer cabinet that looked a little rusty on one side but was in otherwise perfect condition.

It was also too heavy for me. So, I told my husband that if it was still there when he came home that I would like it, please.

It was still there. And now it's mine. It's God good?!

I know that God won't give us everything little thing that we want. He sees way down the road and knows that somethings just aren't good options for us.

But, just like our relationship with our own children, I think He delights in being able to say "Yes!" and then surprising us when we least expect it.

No comments: