Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Trucking right along: A Pantry Challenge Update

We are right smack dab in the middle of our Summertime Pantry Challenge and I'm happy with how we've done so far.

We somehow managed to run out of a bunch of non-food items over the weekend, so I made a trip to Sam's Club on Monday. I spent just under $120, which is good especially considering I had to keep saying "No, we are not buying that this time."

Food-wise, we're still eating from the pantry and freezer and I think that the mound in the freezer has gone down about an inch or so.

I did note that the snack pile was dwindling and I admit to contemplating a shopping trip, but I talked myself out of it. Instead, this afternoon I made a batch of Breadsticks (we love these!) and a double batch of granola bars. I also forced myself to peel and slice a pound of carrots that needed to go into the freezer. I will be looking for a recipe to use up some of these carrots. I also took out of loaf of bread from the freezer (we have some weird breads in there) and will be trying to make it into croutons tomorrow.

I made the Banana Oatmeal Bread yesterday and we ate the whole loaf in one day. It was delicious. Not too sweet, heavy or banana-y.

I'm happy with our progress so far. Even though we have spent some money, it's less than what we usually spend and so I know that it's helping. And we are getting rid of some of this stuff (like oats) that have been sitting around for far too long.

No comments: