Today I had planned to make chili dogs for lunch. But, though I bought hot dogs last night, I failed to buy buns. And, I didn't discover my error until it was too late to make homemade ones (not that I've ever done it before, but it looks like something I could handle).
I contemplated going to the store to buy the buns, but remembered that this was a pantry challenge, after all, and running to the store for everything little thing kinda defeats the purpose.
So, I changed the menu to tacos.
While I was making them I got to thinking about a recent conversation with a friend. Financial woes and food needs were discussed. She mentioned that when she picks up her WIC packages, that she doesn't get the beans because they just don't eat them. I was astonished because I have tons of recipes that include beans; we're not just eating a plain bowl of beans.
I said "Do you like tacos?" She said she did. So, I recommended that she mix the beans in with ground beef, making the meat stretch so that she could use less meat. She was surprised that she could do that! Then I told her she could use the corn tortillas that she can get in her WIC package for the taco shells. She was truly amazed at something that I thought was "Elementary, my dear Watson."
So, I thought I'd share here how I make my tacos, just in case someone needs a little encouragement.
Part 1: Make the beans.
The easiest bean to use and the easiest the make is the pinto bean. This humble bean is used in a huge variety of Mexican dishes. I always mix in beans with my ground beef when I make Mexican food.
1. The night before you are going to cook your beans, empty them into your crockpot. Fill it up with water and set it on the counter. Leave it there all night.
2. The next morning, drain the beans. Put back into the crockpot and fill it up with water again. If you have a ham bone, chicken buillion, cumin or chili powder, you can add it in. I don't measure, I just add. The more flavorful, the better.
3. Turn your crockpot to Low and cook all day. Your beans are done when the skin splits and the beans are soft when you eat them.
4. Allow to cool and separate into 2 cup packets. You can freeze the beans now and use them in any recipe that calls for canned beans.
Note: Don't be afraid to make more than 1 pound of beans at a time. I have a 5 qt crockpot and can make 2-3 lbs of beans. Since you're already doing it, why not make it worth your while? You can freeze all the extras.
Part 2: Brown your ground beef.
I like to do multiple pounds at a time and freeze them in one pound packets. That way, I can just grab a packet of already cooked beans and a packet of already cooked beans and all I have to do is defrost in the microwave real fast.
Part 3: Combine 1 packet of cooked beans (2 cups) and 1 packet of ground beef (1 lb or less) in a large skillet. Add taco seasoning according to the directions on your packet or recipe. Allow meat mixture to warm while you make your taco shells.
Part 4. Making the taco shells.
In a small skillet, just a little bigger than your tortilla, add enough oil to cover the bottom. You don't need a lot of oil. Heat on high until oil pops when you add a sprinkle of water. Grab a spatula in each hand.
Get out a cookie sheet and prep it with paper towels.
Preheat your oven to 350.
Working quickly, add a corn tortilla to the oil. Push down into the oil a little with your spatula to get it all covered. Count to 10. With your two spatulas, grab hold of one end of the tortilla and fold it over to form a taco shell. Count to 10 again. With one spatula on each side of the tortilla, flip the tortilla and count to 10 again. Remove the shell to the cookie sheet and allow to drain on the paper towels while you cook the next tortilla.
This makes soft, pliable taco shells. For harder shells, cook longer, but be aware that it will be more difficult to open and stuff the harder shells. Experiment with the time to find what works best for you.
Part 5: Assemble your tacos.
Remove the paper towels from the cookie sheet and place your shells in a row on your cookie sheet. Open one shell and add approximately one tablespoon of taco meat to your shell. Repeat until all shells are filled to your satisfaction.
My kids also like cheese tacos, which are taco shells with a little bit of cheese melted inside.
Place the cookie sheets in the oven at 350 for five minutes.
Part 6: Transfer tacos to a serving platter and serve with lettuce, cheese, tomatoes, etc.
This is a wonderful frugal meal. 20 corn tortillas made into 12 meat tacos and 8 cheese tacos will feed my family of 6.
Jackpot!
1 week ago


No comments:
Post a Comment