Here is a recent email that I received from my mom detailing things that she is doing to save money. I thought she had some great ideas and asked if I could share. I post the following with her permission:
I thought you would like to know some of my money-saving techniques this week. I really enjoy reading your frugal blog; it has inspired me! Read on......
1. Switched pest control service from bimonthly to quarterly. Annual savings $72
2. Raised automobile deductible to $1000. Annual savings $138. PLUS another 5% when I send in Jordan's GPA for the good student discount. PLUS another 5% when I take a "mature driver" online course from AAA. Anticipated additional savings: $100
3. Raised homeowners insurance deductible to $2000. Annual savings $139.
4. Switched long distance provider from ATT ($20/mth unlimited) to Pioneer (2.7 cents per minute). After analyzing my LD usage for the past year and realizing I never go over 240 minutes per month, I did the math. 240 x 2.7 = $6.48/mth. Annual savings $162.24.
5. This was a real fun one: switched Internet providers from ATT to Clearwire. ATT charges $49.99/mth vs Clearwire $36.99. Got 2 year contract from Clearwire which waived $50 activiation fee. Called ATT to cancel service; she asked me who I was switching to and why. When I told her, she said "we can do better than that." and offered me same service, same speed, for $30/mth. So I called Clearwire back to see if I could get out of the 2 year contract (since it was only 20 minutes old). I told him my old provider offered me a better deal. When I told him what it was, he said "we can do better than that." and offered me the same service, same speed for $19.99/ mth. ATT couldn't beat that one! Annual savings $360.
6. Phoned my gardner to ask if he could cut my service from one a week to twice a month. Current cost $134/mth. He said no, he didn't want to cut my service because my yard would look bad. BUT he then asked how low I was trying to get it. Deep breath. "$100 a month." Long silence. Since I'm such a good customer and been with him a long time, he agreed to reduce it to $100 a month without changing the service. Wow! Annual savings $408.
7. Carpets neeeded cleaning. Got two quotes, each $150. Went to Lowes and rented carpet cleaner and Jordan did the work himself. $43. Savings $107.
8. Dentist told me I needed a new crown to repair a broken tooth. Next appointment (yesterday) went in to have the work done and asked him to take another look. Couldn't he just sand off the broken part without putting in a crown? He agreed (unfortunately I was already numbed up but oh well). Out of pocket savings $150.
I love the way that she has been examining all the expenses going out and seeing where she can cut the bill and still keep the service, most of which she needs at this time in her life.
Oh, and she recommended to me the other day www.lowermybills.com where you can comparision shop services in your area.
More food for thought. Thanks Mom
The Weekly Ramble – October 30, 2026
23 hours ago

No comments:
Post a Comment