Friday, February 6, 2009

Recipe Swap: Oven fried Chicken


Oven Fried Chicken

Serves: 4-6

I came into my marriage with one cookbook, a collection of handwritten recipes that I had copied from my mom‘s collection. But I soon found that these complicated recipes would not help me make an easy and affordable weekly menu. So, I went to the library and checked out some cookbooks. I was looking for basic recipes, like how to fry chicken (something my mom had never done. That’s what KFC is for!) One book that I checked out was perfect! I don’t remember the name, and shame on me for not writing it down, but I do remember that it was white. Inside was this recipe. I made it and we loved it. Over the years I’ve attempted other fried chicken recipes, but this is by far the best!

INGREDIENTS
(use these ingredients are guidelines and just dump it in)
6 chicken legs and thighs
1 egg. beaten
1 cup bread crumbs (Italian is best)
1-2 tsp each onion powder, salt, pepper, paprika (more is always better here)

STEPS
Preheat oven to 400. Rinse chicken in cold water; dry. In a bowl or Ziploc bag, combine the bread crumbs with the seasonings. Dip a piece of chicken in the egg, then dredge in the bread crumb mix. Place skin-side-down on a sprayed cookie sheet. Bake for 20 minutes. Turn chicken pieces. Bake an additional twenty minutes.

NOTE: This coating is very versatile. It can also be used for skillet fried chicken. It also works for pork chops.
Check out more recipes at The Grocery Cart Challenge

No comments: