Wednesday, February 4, 2009

No-Spend Experiment: Day 4; I went shopping!

I went to the store today. I made my WIC purchases (milk, eggs, cheese, peanut butter), and I bought red grapes .77/lb. The total was $2.18. So I have $47.82 left for this month.

I didn't buy sour cream and cocoa powder, even though I really want to make this recipe. I am hosting a prayer breakfast for some of my girlfriends on Friday. I'm trying very hard to make dishes using ingredients that I already have. So far I've decided to make this Pumpkin Coffee Cake. I have bananas languishing, so I searched for banana bread and this recipe came up. It looks wonderful, but I only have about 2/3 cup of sour cream left and no cocoa powder. I might try to make it without the cocoa powder and with less sour cream.

The grapes are also for the breakfast. I will also serve coffee, milk, water, juice and tea. I debated not having this breakfast once I had decided to do this experiment, but I came to the conclusion that if doing an experiment meant that I couldn't be hospitable, then I wasn't interested in doing this experiment. Instead, I worked a little harder to make food using ingredients that I have on hand so that I don't have to spend extra money.

In other news, I changed up the menu a little today and decided to make tostadas instead of sloppy joes. I made homemade refried beans using pinto beans that I had previously cooked and then froze. I added garlic powder, cumin and chili powder. No lard :) They turned out well. I also made tostada shells using 9 corn tortillas that were leftover in my freezer. We love tostadas here. I made rice on the side.

I've also decided to change out the sloppy joes for bbq chicken sandwiches. After all, I have twenty pounds of chicken quarters, not counting what I already had in my freezer. I know there are at least two other packages of chicken in there. So, I have a lot. I took out a package of chicken quarters (4 or 5) and put it frozen into my crockpot with some water. I'll let that cook overnight. Tomorrow I will shred it up and mix it with some BBQ sauce. My hamburger buns need to get eaten, so that will be dinner tomorrow.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you're writing a blog and posting about how to save money as you're getting WIC. Did the thought of giving up the internet enter your mind as an opportunity to save money and not have tax payers $ buy your groceries? If you're going to realize your dream of staying home maybe you should be doing it with only your own support since you've made it clear that this has been your choice.

Anonymous said...

Wow! I am jealous of the grape price! My store this week features a "sale price" (HA!) of $1.99/lb. Also, just wanted to say that I loved the lasagna post. It was a great reminder to not just always assume that a dish is to expensive - thanks for your hard work of pricing it out by ingredient.

cooking like a frugalite said...

Thanks Amanda! We are blessed right now to have some great grape prices LOL! Come over and I'll share some with you. :)