
Tammy's Recipes is a new blog that I've added to my blog list after reading Crystal at Biblical Womanhood talk about her so many times. I looked the blog over and was very interested.
Tammy hosts "Kitchen Tip Tuesday" which I thought would go well with this blog. However, trying to come up with my kitchen tip for this week was hard. I think my brain is fried from sleeping in the recliner last night with a croupy baby.
It wasn't until I went to make myself some food this morning that I hit upon the perfect kitchen tip:
Using leftover rice to make fried rice.
It's been a long time since I've done this, and boy was it yummy!
I made white rice for dinner last night and we had just one serving left. I might have been tempted to just toss it, but I'm trying to be better about not wasting. So, I decided I would keep it and make myself fried rice for breakfast. It was so easy and so good that I wish that I had more leftover rice.
Here is a very basic recipe for you; more of an outline than anything else. Fried rice is very versatile. You can add any kind of meat that you want, or not add meat if you prefer. I didn't add any meat or any peas this morning. I also don't measure the soy sauce. I just pour it on until all the rice looks covered. I don't care too much for soy sauce, but for fried rice you don't want it too dry and some of it will boil away during frying.
Enjoy!
Fried Rice:
INGREDIENTS
2 ½ tsp oil
½ to 1 cup cooked meat
¼ cup celery, chopped fine
¼ cup onion, chopped fine
½ cup frozen peas
1 egg
2 cups cooked rice
2 tbsp soy sauce (to taste)
STEPS
1. Heat oil in skillet; add meat, celery, onions and peas. Fry until celery and onions are cooked. Break in egg. Stir quickly until egg is cooked. Add rice and soy sauce. Stir until rice is hot and a little browned. Serve immediately.

5 comments:
Along this line, I use leftover pasta for frittatas. It makes for a more "special" dinner than just an omelet. It's a good way to use up extra veggies, too. Just mix some veggies (good if sauteed) with eggs, cheese and pasta--any shape is okay. Cook in an omelet pan and then finish the top in the oven on broil. Cover the handle on your pan with aluminum foil if it's plastic.
I love fried rice. This recipe sounds yummy!
Do you have the frittata recipe??
sounds great! we love fried rice!
My mom would make this for us when I was a kid! She would used Spam and eggs with the rice...I liked it as a kiddo, but the Spam has been replaced with leftover ham for my little ones. Thanks for sharing...
Post a Comment