Wednesday, December 17, 2008

When things don't go according to plan

You ever have one of those weeks when your menu just goes completely out the window? I don't know what I was thinking when I made up mine for this week, because nothing has gone according to "the plan" this week.

Monday we were supposed to have Sesame Ribs, which need to be cooked in the crockpot. Well, I took out what I thought was ribs and placed them in the fridge to thaw. Monday morning they were not thawed yet. But, that was okay because we had been invited to a birthday party where food would be served, so I just made grilled cheese sandwiches to tide us over.

Tuesday I went to the fridge to get the ribs and discovered that they were not ribs, they were pork chops! I really need to start labeling my freezer bags a little better, kinda like this Baby Blues comic (See December 7). So, the ribs meal went out the window. Instead I made the pork chops that I had planned to make on Wednesday. Simple meal of oven-fried pork chops, baked potatoes and creamed corn.

Tuesday dinner was supposed to be tacos. But, I goofed and put the tacos before the beans and tortillas meal, even though the leftover beans would go into the tacos.

I mentioned to my husband that I would need to make the beans today and then we could have tacos tomorrow. He, in turn, reminded me that we are having beans and tortillas next week when my family is here and, truthfully, he doesn't want them two weeks in a row. Can we have something else?

Well, now I don't have any other menu options, so I looked in the freezer to see what I could find. Chicken? No, thanks. How about kielbasa and potatoes? Umm, okay. Or Nachos? Yeah, I like nachos.

Or maybe potato soup and homemade bread.

I don't know. I'm sure we'll eat something good and hardy. That's the beauty of having a stock-pile.

It's just funny and frustrating sometimes when things don't go according to plan.

"The best laid plans of mice and men" and all that...

1 comment:

n*stitches said...

I think it is all part of mothering. God is making sure that we are leaning on Him and not our own plans (He does this to me ALL the time). Have a great week - the sesame ribs sound great!