Thursday, April 2, 2009

Safeway Shopping Trip: $40 free meat!



Yesterday I made a trip to Safeway where I was able to bring home $40 worth of free meat.
How did I manage that????

No, it was some special promo. No, I didn't have any amazing coupons for meat.

It's because I keep my eyes open and read my junk mail.

Seriously.

Recently, my local Safeway sent out postcards to "Current Resident". That's my alias, don'cha know.
The postcard had a coupon for a $30 gift card with any new or transferred prescription. It also had a coupon for $10 off your purchase of $50 or more.
So, basically, a free $40.
I have a prescription for prenatal vitamins that I just hop from place to place every month as the prescription coupons appear. So, I marched myself down to the pharmacy and had my prescription transferred.
I picked up my prescription, paid my $10 co-pay and was handed a $30 gift card.
*Just a note, I would have paid the $10 for the prescription anyway, as I do take these vitamins and do get it refilled every month. So, I'm not doing anything "extra", just capitalizing on what I already use.
Then, I went to the meat section, where Safeway was having a really good meat sale.
I got a big package of london broil for $1.98/lb. This is basically three steaks that are a little more than a pound each, so I plan to freeze them individually and use them for things like steak fajitas.
Two top round roasts for $1.98/lb.
One pork shoulder blade roast $.98/lb. This is in the crockpot today, making Pulled Pork Tacos.
One large package of country-style ribs $.98/lb.
I also picked up for package of Foster Farms grilled chicken strips, marked down to 99 cents each. These will be put into the freezer. These work great in Chicken Helper.
I also picked up Life cereal for 99 cents, Kleenex for $1, apples for 77 cents a pound, 5 lb bags of flour for $2 each, chocolate chips $2 each, and a pound of butter for 99 cents.
I didn't take any coupons, but if I would have, I would have saved about $5 more.
My total was $75.57.
I used the $10 off coupon and the $30 gift card and spent $45.57 OOP.
My husband was thrilled when I presented him with all the meat. We usually stick to chicken and ground beef, so this is a treat!

No comments: