Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Chocolate Covered Shortbread OR Dessert by Accident

Yesterday I was casting about for something to make for dessert to go with our beans and tortillas. None of the usual options sounded that great.

So, I'm standing at the fridge, looking in, hoping for inspiration, when I see the bottle of lemon juice. Oooo, lemon bars. Perfect for this warm day.

I pull out the recipe and the ingredients.

According to the recipe, you have to prepare the shortbread cookie base first.

So, I did that and stuck it in the oven.

Then, I began preparing the lemon topping. On a whim, I turned the bottle of lemon juice to see when it expired: 10/08. Ooops.

I opened it up to smell it. Yup, definitely bad.

So, there went my lemon bars.

But now I've got a shortbread cookie base. What am I supposed to do with that?

Hmmm, I have half a bag of chocolate chips. I can melt them and drizzle the chocolate over the cookies.

Except that I'm not very good at drizzling, so they got spread over the bars.

Let cool completely.

Cut and eat.

Yum!

Lemon juice is on the grocery list.

No comments: