Monday, August 24, 2009

When I first saw this recipe for Chicken Tortilla Chip Casserole on $5 Dinners, I wasn't real interested. A few days later, however, it popped back into my mind as I contemplated a bag of stale tortilla chips.

I had most of the ingredients (well, with some adjustments, see below), so I decided to give it a shot.

Truthfully, I was a little uncertain about how all of the flavors would mesh, but it was good!!

I was also happy with the way that I was able to use up a few random ingredients that I had laying around.

I did have to make a few adjustments:

The first part of the recipe calls for a can of drained tomatoes, mixed with cumin and taco seasoning. About a week ago I had opened up a 28oz can of petite diced tomatoes and only used about half. The other half I froze. So, I used the leftovers for the tomato part.

I don't have any taco seasoning, so I sprinkled some chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder and black pepper in after the cumin. I mixed that up well with the tomato.

For the beans, I cooked up a half of bag of black beans that I found hiding in the back of my pantry. The leftovers will be kept for something else.

I didn't have any green chilies, so we just did without. The kids don't like spicy food, anyway.

Used that bag of stale tortilla chips for the chips.

Finally, for the soup and chicken mixture: The recipe calls for cream of chicken soup. I only had a can of cream of mushroom, so I subbed that. Was glad to use up the sour cream that I had; I'm the only one in the family who will eat sour cream unless it's mixed up into something.

For the chicken, I used a package of grilled chicken strips that I had purchased on sale with a coupon awhile back and stuck in the freezer. It worked perfectly.

Finally, for the cheese, I sprinkled a little bit of sharp cheddar and some mozzarella.

It was delicious!!!

No comments: