This week is a "Pantry Challenge" week for us as we just don't have the money to do a big grocery shopping trip. Thankfully, my cupboard and fridge/freezer is adequately filled, so I just needed to make a quick trip to our local health food store and the 99 cent store for some super-cheap produce, bread and crackers. I spent $13 total.
I do enjoy challenging myself to use up the odds and ends that seem to accumulate in my kitchen, seeing what new recipes I can find, and finding out just how well we really can eat even without xyz that we think we need.
Sometimes I think we eat better during these challenges then when I get stuck in the rut of "menu plan, shop, cook, eat, repeat." (Although the kids might disagree.) Mom, there's nothing (packaged and junky) to eat!
Yesterday we received one of those calls from my dad and stepmom that we just treasure, especially during weeks such as these: "Can you come over for a pizza dinner?"
Absolutely, we are on our way now!
Then, the pizza place accidentally delivered a Hawaiian pizza with jalapenos instead of the requested pepperoni pizza. There was no way my kids (or I!) would go for that, so my stepmom called up and asked for a replacement pizza. She also threw in "Oh, and an order of cheese sticks would be great, too."
What do you know; they sent over the correct pizza AND the cheese sticks free of charge!
We wound up with five boxes and my dad had only paid for three!
The best part: we came home with two boxes of leftover pizza! What a blessing.
The Weekly Ramble – July 31, 2026
1 day ago

2 comments:
I love when food comes to us during the particularly tight times. God is so good.
We are very, very used to eating from the pantry; it is the norm around here.
I know; that's one of the reasons why I love your website!
Post a Comment